The other day we took a break from our acorn burying to rest in the shade on this stump.
Pretty soon Hickory was ready to run again, but I paused to peer at the stump edge. “There are two fungus types growing here, but I believe they are both Turkey Tail fungus,” I told him.
He perched beside me and swished his tail. “Nope. Only the striped one. The gold one might have the waves, but it’s missing the stripes.”
I compared the gray striped one to the plain gold one, then we left for acorn hunting again. Later that day I hunted down Miz Flora and asked her.
“He’s right,” she said. “The scientific name is Trametes versicolor. Versicolor means ‘of several colors’. Turkey Tail fungus isn’t just orange and gold. It can be other colors, but it always shows several colors. Your plain gold fungus is something else, and I have to admit, I only know they most common fungus so it’s a mystery to me.
And it’s a mystery to me why I hadn’t picked up that fungus tidbit and Hickory had. But I know it now!
The forest is growing them good these days!
A whole ring of mushrooms!
Well, not quite whole, but you get the idea. Some humans call this a fairy ring, and we squirrels hate to disappoint you, but there is nothing magical about mushrooms growing a ring.
Or so says Miz Flora.
When Hickory and I found this ring, we took our elderly neighbor squirrel over to get her expert botanical opinion. This is what she said:
“Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of fungus, and appear at the edges of the underground mycelia–like roots of fungus. Those mycelia grow outward in all directions from where it first sprouted. Do you kits see any signs of a tree once being here?”
Hickory and I poked around. “Here it is!”
“That fungus,” said Miz Flora, “started decomposing the tree, or likely the tree stump or its underground remains, if the humans had the stump ground out. It has spread every year, wider and wider, working to break down those wood cells. If you come back next fall after a good rain like we’ve had, then you’ll find another ring, just a bit bigger.”
“But what about the knocked over mushrooms?” Hickory asked. “Does that hurt the fungus?”
“Nope.” She flicked her tail. “That only stops them from spreading more spores. That fungus is doing fine underground.” She looked around. “But I sure would like to see another tree on this bare corner rather than grass.”
What squirrel wouldn’t?
We’ve had a lot of rain recently–and are swishing our tails in happiness that this hasn’t been a terribly dry summer. And the bonus is surprise snacks:
Yep, Hickory and I are coming across mushrooms everywhere. And some we are eating.
Can you eat them?
No. A squirrel’s digestive system is far different than our human readers’, so we caution against eating what we do. And we aren’t even going to attempt to identify mushrooms…because we aren’t good at it.
And P.S.: Hickory says to tell our regular readers he can’t do the mystery again this Sunday. Sorry!
It’s orange, so you bet this mushroom has been named for your human holiday!
We’re a few days late, but Hickory and I just ran across a Jack-o’-Lantern mushroom, Omphalotus olearius, and wanted to share it.
Not only is this mushroom orange, but its gills glows in the dark–when the mushrooms are newly sprouted, which these are not. We squirrels didn’t try to photograph the glow, so suggest you look at the Cornell Mushroom Blog. The cool thing is, it’s the same luminescent enzyme, luciferase, that makes fireflies glow.
Besides looking a bit ragged, these may even be eaten around the edges, but that’s not by humans! Do not touch this species, because like many of the scary things about Halloween, this mushroom is poisonous.
…and we were all complaining? Well, if you lived in the Washington, D.C. area. Now it’s too hot. We squirrels thought we’d refresh your rain memories with a mushroom.
And so you can see proof it was in the rain…
We have no idea what kind they are, but thought they looked cool for these hot days!
Recognize this one?
Give me your guesses and I’ll check back later with your answer!
Well, folks, this is one to stay away from. Fly Agaric or Fly Amanita, Amanita mascara, is poisonous. It’s usually red, but different subspecies can be orange or yellow. They always have those crusty white spots. A ‘skirt’ can sometimes be seen on the white stalk.
Here’s an interesting thing about the name: In some areas, the powdered agaric has been used to keep away flies and other insects, including in milk. So some people have eaten the mushroom after has been prepared in a certain way. Also, as you see, some animals can eat it.
Large portions of it!
Remember, these are animals eating this poisonous plant.
We have made this point before on The Squirrel Nutwork: Humans should not eat something an animal eats, or even if the information or folklore of a wild plant includes other cultures eating it. Please do your research before consuming anything in the wild. Better to be safe and just enjoy the pretty looks!
We thought perhaps our human readers would enjoy a bit of cool green today…
and a tiny little mushroom.
The rain is bringing out the ‘srooms!
We don’t know what this one is exactly, but Miz Flora thinks the little extra flap of white around the stem means it’s poisonous. We caution you human readers not to handle or eat any wild mushrooms. Just have a look at how cool they are.